Saturday 15 April 2017

The Trucking Industry is Out of Control


It turns out that speeding irresponsibly in a large truck, placing personal wealth ahead of the welfare of others, is one of the greatest sins in the Universe.... 
Craig Ferguson

Last weekend I drove out to Kingston to spend a weekend with friends. It was a very rainy day with poor visibility. I drove the speed limit which is 100 km/hour on the 401. Occasionally I inched up to 105 km/hour, but not more than that. As per usual there were lots of big rigs on the road. For the safety of all concerned the big rigs driving in Ontario and Quebec are required to uses electronic speed limiters that cap their speed at 105 km/hour. This applies to commercial motor vehicles that:
·         were built after December 31, 1994
·         are equipped with an electronic control module
AND
·         have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 kg or more
Exemptions apply only to a limited number of vehicle types, such as ambulances or fire trucks.

If these big rigs are legally mandated to have speed limiters which cap their speed at 105 km/hour, how was I getting passed like I was standing still when I was driving 105 km/hour? These potential weapons of mass destruction were driving like bats out of hell and it wasn’t just a one-off situation; I was passed by at least 6 big rigs in my 2.5 hour journey to Kingston. And to add insult to injury before they passed me they were hanging 6 inches off my bumper. If I had to slow down suddenly I would have been killed instantly.

Every driver has the right to feel safe on our highways and byways and that’s not possible with a trucking industry out of control. What good are speed limiters if no one is enforcing the law? The problem is that the speed limiters can be turned off and when law enforcement is nowhere to be seen, they speed at will, endangering all of vehicles around them. The only way to solve the problem is to have the speed limiters permanently on with no option to disengage. Only then can the rest of us be safe from these weapons of mass destruction in an industry that is clearly out of control.

The driver behind you wants to go 5 miles per hour faster.
Highway axiom

Make someone smile today.


Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment