Saturday 20 February 2016

Saks 5th Avenue Opens in Toronto – HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!

Go out all day looking fabulous and I see no one I know. Go out for 5 minutes looking like crap and it’s all of a sudden a damn reunion.
Unknown

I’d been looking forward to Thursday, February 18th with great excitement – the opening of Saks 5th Avenue in the Bay on Queen. I’m a big fan of Saks and rarely have I been in a Saks store without making a donation. There’s always something wonderful to buy. I arranged to meet my friend Diane after work for what was to be a wonderful shopping experience. And, in anticipation of some terrific grand opening specials, my Bay card was prepared for a work out!

As soon as I walked into the Bay I was immediately confused. There is virtually no separation between the Bay and Saks. The first, second and third floors are divided in half and shared by both stores. There are no doors or separators, just staff who say either Welcome to the Bay or Welcome to Saks. I wonder if they're going to have staff permanently stationed at the crossover points.

When the Bay said that they were bringing Saks to Toronto, I expected an authentic Saks store. Instead what they did was bring Saks Haute Couture to Toronto. If you want a great selection of Haute Couture, then this version of Saks will no doubt delight you. But, if you’re in the market for real people clothes at real people prices, then don’t even waste your time looking. The shoe department is the same – haute couture exclusively; although I did find a pair of plastic flip flops (like the ones at Joe Fresh for $5.99) in the $200 dollar range. I passed on the flip flops.

My disappointment was palpable! In addition to providing me with 3 half floors or merchandise that I wouldn’t even purchase at 90% off, I’ve now lost 3 half floors of Bay Store space with merchandise that I could afford. In short, I’m mega-pissed off! The only funny part of the excursion was when we asked where the washrooms were, they sent us back to the Bay part of the store. Apparently people who buy Haute Couture don’t pee.

I could give up shopping but I’m not a quitter.
Unknown

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment