Tuesday 22 March 2016

Why is Product Packaging So Deceiving?

When a package says “easy open” I end up using scissors, knife, hammer, gun and a light saber.
Thedailyquotes.com

I have a cranky knee that’s been behaving like a petulant child as of late. In light of the fact that I can’t use painkillers, I’ve been forced to seek alternatives. There are a myriad of topical creams and gels on the market that all promise to do the same thing and it’s just a matter of trial and error to see which one does or doesn’t work for you. After my very unscientific “clinical trials” I’ve settled on one that’s better than the rest (for me). I recently saw an advertisement for a new version of this topical painkiller saying that it was for “joint pain”, when all the while I thought it was for joint pain. And in fact on this new version, “For Join Pain” is emblazoned on the tube. When I was out shopping on Saturday I investigated this new “for joint pain” version. Upon reading the ingredients I discovered, much to my disgust, that the ingredients were IDENTICAL! In reality there are two versions of the same product in different packaging – one version says Original and the other says For Joint Pain. There is no reason for this other than to dupe the unsuspecting public and increase market share.

How many products have you seen with big advertising campaigns promoting “New and Improved”? I’d be willing to bet if you checked out the ingredients you’d find that in the vast majority of cases only the packaging is new and improved. I realize that advertising is fantasy but doesn’t there have to be some truth in product promotion? Why isn’t there a watchdog group monitoring these blatant attempts to mislead the public? And if there is such a group, they are certainly not doing their jobs.

If dogs don’t like your dog food the packaging doesn’t matter.
Stephen Denny

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment