Monday 30 May 2016

Why Didn’t I Cancel My Gym Membership Ages Ago?

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping up and down.
Rita Rudner


Several months ago I wrote a blog called Confessions of a Gym Rat about my struggle getting into a gym that I really didn’t like. It was in a basement, old, rundown, badly laid out and not cheap. I’ve been working out in gyms since the mid-70s so not going to a gym didn’t appear to be an option. Unfortunately this was the only gym close to my house since Goodlife bought the big, bright, well laid out gym that I was a member of and then closed it to drive people to the basement. Although I considered going to a gym that I had to drive to, realistically I knew that wouldn’t work. After many trials and tribulations I finally cancelled my gym membership and found a great alternative.

I live in mid-town Toronto in what I affectionately refer to as my 700 square feet of splendor so a big home gym setup was not feasible. However, with a little creativity I can now do as good a workout or better than I did in the gym in very little space and for very little money. I bought a frame-less step machine. It’s literally just the steps so it takes up very little space and it’s under $100 on Amazon. I learned how to train in an old body building gym so I’ve never worked out with machines, only free weights. I rounded out my “home gym” with a few sets of dumbbells (which also take up next to no space and are very inexpensive). Since I’m Jewish, guilt is a powerful motivator for me which is why I strategically placed the stepper and the dumbbells in front of the TV. Every day I find a one-hour TV show that I want to watch and hop on the stepper for the hour. Afterwards I do a weight and ab work out. I’m now working out daily and more efficiently than when I went to the gym. It’s easy to find the time at home and the shower is just a few short steps away. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. I really love my home setup and would never rejoin a gym.


If swimming is such a good way to stay in shape, explain whales…
Unknown

Make someone smile today.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment