Sunday 11 September 2016

Keep Your Webcam Covered. Someone May Be Watching.

The first webcam was used in 1991 by Cambridge researchers for checking the coffee pot without leaving their desks.
8fact.com

Like many of you, I’ve read articles over the years that say you should keep your webcam covered when not in use. Quite frankly, I thought that this was over the top. After all, who would be interested in spying on me? However last week while I was online I noticed that my webcam blinked on off a few times and I didn’t engage it. In fact the only time it should be on is when I’m Skyping which I wasn’t. Although I still don’t think anyone was spying on me, I no longer feel that covering your webcam is akin to paranoia. After all, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry?

I was surprised to learn that it’s not just computers that are at risk. Hackers can access home cameras, baby monitors and security cameras as well. When I read that Mark Zuckerberg and the Director of the FBI keep their laptop cameras covered with tape, it seemed like a reasonable precaution given their positions and amount of sensitive information they deal with on a daily basis. But, it appears that hackers make quite an excellent living targeting average people as well. They try to get what could be embarrassing footage of people – in various stages of undress or having sex – and then blackmail them. Note to all hackers – if you have any naked screen shots of me go ahead and publish. I wouldn’t pay you a cent to suppress them.

I now keep my webcam covered when I’m not on Skype. Do you?


If it’s one thing I’m not its narcissistic. And I’ve got seven years worth of webcam video to prove it.

The Covert Comic



Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment