Tuesday 13 September 2016

Freedom 55 or Freedom in the Box?

I’m going to retire and live off my savings. What I’ll do the second day I have no idea.

Unknown

I find now at the age of 62 the topic of retirement comes up considerably more frequently than sex and that is indeed a tragedy. There is nothing sexy about retirement, but there is a certain practicality to these kinds of discussions among my old fart friends. We’re all concerned about the dollars and cents of retirement and whether retirement is even an option.

In 1960 the average lifespan of a Canadian was 71 years so in essence you only had to fund a 6 year retirement. Now the average lifespan of a Canadian is over 81 years in addition to a growing number of Canadians in their 90s and 100s. My own family certainly supports the longevity of Canadians. Both of my grandmothers lived to be over 90. Both of my grandfathers lived to be over 80. My father lived to be over 80 and my spectacular mother is now 85 and is a perfect candidate to make it to 100 and beyond. Now instead of figuring out how to fund a 6 year retirement, it’s not inconceivable that many of us will have to fund a 25 – 35 year retirement. I don’t know about you but that takes retirement off the table for me.

I remember when the Freedom 55 campaign was launched in the late ‘80s selling the concept that with the right planning you could retire at 55. My reality is retirement is not in my cards; it’s going to be Freedom in the Box. Truth be told even if I could afford to retire, I wouldn’t. I’m quite hyperactive and have never mastered the art of doing nothing. I would not be able to go through life trying to fill up my days and I love working. What about you? Are you retired? Planning to retire?

Retirement can be a great joy if you can figure out how to spend time without spending money. 

Author Unknown

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment