Saturday 3 September 2016

Pre-employment Background Checks: An Exercise in Indigestion

A jealous woman does better research than the FBI.
Indulgy.com

I recently had an experience with a pre-employment background check that quite frankly makes the mind reel! I just accepted a one-year contract at a Fortune 100 company that’s an amazing place to work. In fact I like it so much that this is the 4th contract that I’ve had with this same company. As four months have elapsed since my last contract with this company ended all of the background checks had to be redone – background, financial and employment. After all, I could have spent the summer at Club Fed, taken motorcycle riding lessons from the Hell’s Angels or swapped the geraniums on my terrace for pot plants. In any case I dutifully filled out all of the forms and signed the consent forms for them to find out that there’s nothing to find out – again.

A few days ago a person working for the company employing me sent me an email informing me that the company doing the background check on me couldn’t verify my employment. At first I thought it was a joke; after all I’ve already had 4, yes 4 contracts with this same company. If the background check company couldn’t find this out, why didn’t the person who works for the company know this, especially since I provided this information in the appropriate forms and supplied them along with my resume. To add insult to injury this genius wanted a copy of my incorporation documents. The information that I provided clearly states that I am a registered sole proprietorship, not an incorporated company, as I have no reason to incorporate. I do need to be registered as a sole proprietorship for HST purposes. She had no understanding of what a sole proprietorship was and insisted upon seeing my business registration documents from the federal government – which I provided, along with yet another list of the dates of my 4 previous contracts. Since I’ve had no further communication from her I can only hope that somewhere amid swirling incompetence, a light bulb has gone on. What a colossal waste of time, energy and money! And I’d still like someone to explain to me why they need to verify my credit score. I’m a business communicator. I don’t buy or sell product or provide any function that requires a credit facility. The entire process is ludicrous but they’ve got you by the proverbial balls, and as the Borg would say, resistance is futile.

When it comes to the issue of background checks, let's be honest - background checks will never be 'universal' - because criminals will never submit to them.
Wayne LaPierre

Make someone smile today.

Geri

3 comments:

  1. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website.
    employment verification service

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post, Geri, I like it! Today employers are trying to find out all about the candidate`s past, and the employee attempts to protect his personal history. But we all have to understand that if you're applying for a position in the company, you must be honest. So, employee background checks must be done anyway. It will be useful for companies whose prosperity may be destroyed due to the dishonest employee.

    ReplyDelete