Saturday 24 December 2016

How to Make Free Long Distance Calls on Your Smartphone

The telephone is a 100-year-old technology. It's time for a change. Charging for phone calls is something you did last century.
Niklas Zennstrom

Not long ago I wrote a blog about Canadians being held hostage by cell phone providers. I was livid at the cost of mobile long distance rates. My provider really got my goat after jacking up my rates and not crediting my account in compensation, so I had the Canada to U.S. long distance portion of my plan removed – saving me $20/month. Now unfortunately, if I make any Canada to U.S. long distance calls on my Smartphone these bandits are going to bill me $0.50/minute. Anyone that knows me can tell you that there is no way on God’s little acre that I'm ever going to pay $0.50/minute to call the States.

And so, the hunt began for how to make free long distance calls from Canada to the U.S.; but I had criteria:
  • To call anyone – many companies will give you free long distance ONLY if you’re calling someone who uses the same app
  • Keep my phone number - most of these free long distance companies give you a special number that you have to use
  • Dial directly – no access numbers, PIN numbers, etc.
  • My phone number shows up in call display

Quite frankly I couldn’t find anything that met my criteria until my Techie Guru told me to use Google Hangouts. I’d completely dismissed Google Hangouts because when it first launched you had to connect with people who were also using Google Hangouts. Now it’s all changed. You can call anyone, anywhere in North America free. Once you have Google Hangouts all you do is download the Hangouts Dialer (there’s one for Android and Apple) and make your calls. I talked for 54 minutes yesterday with my friend in San Diego and it was totally free. I checked my long distance usage with my cell phone provider and there is no record of the call. International calling is also available; it’s not free but the rates are drastically cheaper than the cell phone provider bandits.

Stick it to the cell phone provider bandits and stop paying them for long distance plans. Use Google Hangouts instead.

I hate it when people text: Call me.
Funny Pictures

Make someone smile today.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment