Tuesday 31 January 2017

Consumerism Targets Women Unfairly

Pink is female - but why? Are girls any more pink than boys? Are boys any more blue than girls? It's something that has been sold to us, mostly so other things can be sold to us.
David Levithan

This quote is the perfect illustration of exactly of how women are unfairly targeted by unscrupulous marketing practices. On Sunday I went into a large sporting goods retailer to buy a snorkel and mask for my upcoming trip to the Bahamas. There were two identical sets hanging side by side. They were made by the same manufacturer and packaged exactly the same way. However, one was “one size fits all” and it had blue trim. The price was $29.99. The other was “for women” and it had pink trim. This one was priced at $49.99. There was absolutely no difference in product or size between the two sets of snorkels and masks. The only difference was the colour of the trim. I’m sure you already know that I bought the set with the blue trim. Come to think of it, I don’t own anything pink.

I supposed I should be used to women getting ripped off by now, but it never ceases to make my blood boil. As women, have we become blind to getting ripped off, or just turned a blind eye? Ladies, let’s stop buying “pink” products. It’s time we became savvy consumers who get good value for our money and not let the marketing machine victimize us.

Marketing is what you do when your product is no good.
Edwin H. Land

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment