Sunday 11 February 2018

We’re Being Ripped off by the Postal Service


You know you're a fool when what you're doing makes even the post office seem efficient.
Joshua Cohen

I’m tired of being ripped off by a post office that provides inferior service at exorbitant prices. The cost of postage is an outrage and I’ve gone totally electronic. In fact this past Christmas I sent ecards exclusively.

My recent encounter with the post office astounded me! I was recently notified to appear for jury selection. As much as I would truly enjoy seeing the legal process in action, I can’t afford it. I’m self employed and if I don’t work, I can’t pay the bills. In order to be released from jury duty you have to send a letter to the Attorney General’s office explaining how being a juror would cause you undue financial hardship. I wrote the letter, and not wanting to take any chances (I have no faith in the postal system), I elected to send the letter by registered mail. I should preface this by telling you that the destination of the letter is within walking distance of my apartment, so imagine my shock when the postal clerk asked me for $11.30 to register my letter. Feeling that I really had no choice, I coughed up the money with great resentment. Thankfully my $11.30 registered letter reached its mark and I have formally been released from jury duty.

The usefulness of the post office to society diminishes with each passing year and as we become more accustomed to going electronic, their only use in the future may be to deliver the goods that we order online.

Mail your packages early so the post office can lose them in time for Christmas.
Johnny Carson


Make someone smile today.

Geri



No comments:

Post a Comment