Tuesday 3 November 2015

Do the “For Dummies” Books Make You Feel Like a Dummy?

When she started to play, Steinway came down personally and rubbed his name off the piano.
Bob Hope

I’m farklempt that I’m now the very proud owner of a digital piano. I also wisely bought very snappy red headphones (in the hope of avoiding eviction from my 700 square feet of splendor). After insisting for the better part of 20 years that I had no place to put this creature of wonder, wouldn’t you know that it fits perfectly in the hall – almost as if it was built for it. This certainly must be a sign from the heavens (or at least my grandmother who always wanted me to play piano) that the digital piano and I were meant to be. It may yet turn out to be my most enduring relationship.

Since I’m infinitely more knowledgeable about splitting the atom than playing the piano I went to the bookstore and bought “Piano for Dummies”, feeling that this was an apt description of my musical skill and perhaps aptitude. I opened the book to the appropriate page and sat down at the piano poised for success. I soldiered on for the better part of an hour and had a sinking feeling that I actually too dumb for a book for dummies. Although I didn’t expect to become a virtuoso overnight (or in this lifetime, for that matter), I did expect to understand what was being communicated to me; and sadly that wasn’t the case. It just didn’t make sense to me. Not to be deterred, I decided that although I wasn’t able to grasp the content in an adult beginner’s book for dummies, I could certainly comprehend at the 6-year old level. So, I took myself off to Rememyi Music, a fabulous store on Bloor St., across from the ROM. I spoke to the very knowledgeable folks at Remenyi, explained that I was in need of a learn to play piano book at the level of a 6-year old or perhaps a remedial adult. My one stipulation was that I refused to play Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. Assuring me that I didn’t need a children’s book (clearly demonstrating a misplaced level of confidence), they presented me with an adult beginner’s book that’s used by the Royal Conservatory of Music and the one they recommend for any adult beginner. Needless to say I bought the book and couldn’t wait to get home and start learning to play piano. The folks at Remenyi were right. I didn’t need a children’s book. I actually understood this book and on Day 2, I played Ode to Joy with both hands – a very exciting moment! Obviously this was the bare bones, beginner version, but it sounded like Ode to Joy and that’s good enough for me. Finding the right book made all the difference and I’m happily on my way to learning the piano.

They afterwards took me to a dancing saloon where I saw the only rational method of art criticism I have ever come across. Over the piano was printed a notice- 'Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.
Oscar Wilde

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment