Wednesday 25 November 2015

Since When Does Christmas Start on November 1st?

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.
Dave Barry


I don’t know about you, but Christmas seems to start earlier every year. This year I was in shock when the day after Halloween my friend Janice and I were out engaging in some retail therapy in Kingston and almost every store we walked into was completed decorated for Christmas. Did the elves appear at the stroke of midnight on November 1st and spend the entire night removing all traces of Halloween and getting out the full Christmas regalia? Wasn’t there a time when the Christmas spirit didn’t begin until December 1st? Or at least until after U.S. Thanksgiving and Black Friday?

I’m not doing the Bah Humbug thing! And, it has nothing to do with being Jewish, although I’m quite delighted that I don’t have to run around like a mad woman buying gifts for everyone I know and going broke in the process. I enjoy seeing Christmas decorations in the neighbourhoods and the CN Tower lit up like the mother of all candy canes. The Bay on Queen and other downtown stores do spectacular windows. All of this is lovely and festive, but not on November 1st. Let’s be realistic; how many times can you listen to “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer” without wanting to gag? I understand that Christmas is a big retail season and that the stores want to maximize its potential, but I’d like to at least have my winter tires on before I’m surrounded by Christmas.


The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't for any religious reasons. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.
Jay Leno

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment