Monday 2 November 2015

You Look Good for Your Age

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie

I suppose I should be flattered that people frequently tell me that I look good for my age. But, why can’t I just look good anymore? In truth I don’t even understand what “looking good for your age” means. If I look good for my age, who am I being compared to? Where is this archetypal face? And at what age does looking good have to be qualified?

When I look in the mirror I see my face – it’s the face of a 61 year old. There aren’t any other faces in the mirror to compare to. I see the laugh lines of all the joyous events in my life and the wrinkles of worry and loss; but I earned all of my lines and wrinkles and I wear them proudly. I have no desire to have them erased from my face.

There are days that I look like crap and days that after I put my makeup on, I think I look pretty good – not for a 61 year old, but just pretty good. So next time you see someone of a certain age and want to pay them a compliment, tell them that they look good, not good for their age.


I cannot see
I cannot pee
I cannot chew
I cannot screw
Oh, my God, what can I do?
My memory shrinks
My hearing stinks
No sense of smell
I look like hell
My mood is bad – can you tell?
My body’s drooping
Have trouble pooping
The Golden Years have come at last
The Golden Years can kiss my ass
The Cat in the Hat on Aging

Make someone smile today.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment