Saturday 7 November 2015

Learning to Play Piano – Episode 1

Get up from that piano. You hurtin’ its feelings.
Jelly Roll Morton

I wonder if I’m hurting my piano’s feelings. Too bad if I am; it’ll have to get over it because my digital piano is the centrepiece of my new adventure.

Since acquiring this creature of wonder, I can’t tell you how delighted I am with my decision, in spite of what I consider to be slow progress. As a voracious and very quick reader, the speed at which I am presently able to read the music of the very simple pieces that I am working on is most disconcerting. At the moment I think it’s rather like deciphering spy code. Yet, I am soldiering on, and I am sight reading and playing with both hands. My repertoire, although extremely limited and very elementary, includes Yankee Doodle, Camptown Races and Catch a Falling Star. I am currently working on Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart. I pray that Mr. Mozart is otherwise occupied as I practice, or I fear that he may yet regret that he ever composed it.

In spite of the ungodly sounds that sometimes spew forth as a result of misread notes and/or misplaced fingers, there is unmitigated joy as a result of playing even a very simple piece correctly. And that’s really what it’s all about, isn’t it? Finding a way to bring joy to your life (and not inflicting it on those near and dear). Although my friends have been very kind and have already started asking when I’m giving a recital, I can see the relief on their faces when I say, “No time soon”.


I bought a piano once because I had the dream of playing As Time Goes By as some girl's leaning on it drinking a martini. Great image. But none of it worked out. I can't even play Chopsticks. But I've got a nice piano at my house!
George Clooney

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment