Wednesday 4 November 2015

No Wonder Stores are Going Broke

I wish retail therapy was covered by my health insurance.
Unknown

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that my friend (and colleague) Sue and I actually left the office for a stroll. We work in Yorkville on a street with one boutique after another, the Mecca of shopping. As we ambled along we noticed a new shop; or at least it was new to us, so we wandered in for a look. There was a salesperson standing behind a desk shuffling some papers and trying to look busy. Not once while we were in the shop did he acknowledge our existence. It was as if we were non-corporeal, floating through the store, invisible to all. I certainly don’t want someone to attach themselves to me like a barnacle, but an acknowledgement is a necessity.

Truth be told, I didn’t like the clothes. They were way too Zen, shapeless and overpriced for what they were; but the salesperson didn’t know that. In fact, Sue quite liked a sweater and if the place was a little more warm and welcoming, she might have tried something on. We left the shop and we will not be going back again. There was also a new shoe store calling our names and so we obediently obliged and went in. The staff was great – friendly and engaging but not intrusive. And, in no time flat I bought a pair of boots that I wasn’t even looking for. Sue and I both plan to go back and shop there again.

Shopping isn’t just about the merchandise; it’s about the experience. And, the only way a customer can show appreciation or disdain is with our dollar. How well you treat a customer is sometimes as important as what you have to sell them. If more stores lived by this simple fact there would be fewer “for lease” signs on storefronts.

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
Bo Derek

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment