Sunday 6 December 2015

Cut the Cable TV Cord & Set Yourself Free from Ridiculous Cable Bills

Cable companies aren't bad because they're parts of unwieldy media conglomerates. They're bad because they're monopolies (even where they are no longer legally exclusive) and because the government policies that made them monopolies rewarded lobbying over customer service.
Virginia Postrel

Canadian consumers are finally getting smart and I’ve joined their ranks. Many of us have cut the cable tv cord and have found better and MUCH cheaper ways to watch tv. Although I don’t know if I’ve ever been considered “trendy”, I now find myself part of this very fast growing trend.

According to new research from Ottawa-based Boon Dog Professional Services:
  • Canadian TV providers are losing customers six times faster this year than they did last year
  • The country’s publicly-traded broadcasters lost a combined 113,000 subscribers in the first half of their fiscal year. That compares to a loss of 19,200 in the same period last year

I was a long time, unhappy customer of Rogers. All of this unhappiness didn’t come cheap; I was paying $70/month for what could best be described as 100s of channels and nothing to watch. As my frustration with Rogers reached a new crescendo, I cancelled my cable tv service several months ago (I cancelled Rogers Internet a year ago and switched to Start.ca - FANTASTIC!). Although there are many options for watching tv without cable, I chose Roku and I couldn’t be more delighted. Roku was a one-time cost of $80. I subscribe to Netflix and Acorn TV for a grand total of $13/month as opposed to $70/month. Now my only problem is what to watch. There is an incredible amount of excellent programming out there and I now have it available on-demand and commercial-free. If you’re paying huge cable tv bills and complaining that there’s nothing to watch, consider cutting the cable tv cord. You’ll be happy you did.


[Television is] an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home. 
David Frost

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment