Tuesday 8 December 2015

Do You Visit Your Bank Branch Anymore?

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.
Bob Hope

It occurred to me when I was taking out some cash from the ATM that I hadn’t been into my branch in ages. I’m sure that many of you are just like me. Banks have developed a self-serve culture that makes going into the branch obsolete. We can withdraw money at the ATM. For those of you who still have an account that comes with a bank book that electronically registers your transaction, the ATM can update that for you. We used to go into the branch to make deposits, but that’s not necessary either. In addition to depositing cheques in the ATM, most banks have an App that allows you to use your smartphone to make deposits. You simply take photos of your cheque, front and back, and then deposit it into your account. In fact, the only reason that I ever have to go into the bank these days is for foreign currency transactions.

My late grandfather knew the names of every teller at his branch and he would let people go ahead of him in the line so he could be served by his favourite teller, Susie. Banking was part of the fabric of our lives. Technology and progress has brought about the self-serve banking culture, rendering everyday branch banking a thing of the past. So, why are so many banks now open on weekends, when no one even needs to bank in person during the week? And why are all of the bank commercials focused on customer service and personal attention? It’s bizarre that they set up a self-service culture and then try to lure you with customer service. Banks need to decide what they want to be when they grow up.

I really like the folks at my branch and I’m going to make a point of going in once in a while and transacting in person instead of just electronically.

Drive-in banks were established so most of the cars today could see their real owners.
E. Joseph Cossman

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment