Tuesday 8 September 2015

How Can Masai Tribesmen Afford Cell Phone Plans?




I was reading an article by someone who had just visited Tanzania. One of the things that struck her was the sight of Masai tribesmen wearing traditional costumes, herding their animals and carrying cell phones. The thing that struck me was how could a Masai tribesman afford a cell phone plan? So I did a little digging and quite frankly, I was astonished.

Pew Research Center did a survey in 7 sub-Saharan African nations - Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. Approximately 2/3 or more say they own a cell phone. Ownership is especially high in South Africa and Nigeria, where about 9 in 10 have a cell phone. I don't begrudge anyone a cell phone but I am constantly being bombarded with requests for money for clean water in Africa (Nigeria in particular). So how can they afford cell phones if they can't afford clean water?


Then it occured to me; cell phone plans aren't really expensive. If they were, the Masai tribesmen wouldn't be using them. We're being ripped off by the Canadian Cartel of Rogers, Telus and Bell, and with the blessings of the CRTC, who governs these bandits. According to the Wall Report, Canadians pay among the highest wireless prices in the industrial world. Why you ask? To make Rogers, Telus and Bell rich. There is no other reason. When a competitively priced company like Wind enters the market, the Big 3 make sure that Wind can't offer enough coverage to really capture market share or force the Big 3 to drop their prices.

So Canadians, we're being royally screwed! I don't know about you but if I'm going to get screwed the least I expect is a smile and a cigarette. And what can we do about it as long as the CRTC allows this price fixing? Nothing, except move to Africa. And that's farther than I'm prepared to go for a bargain.

Make someone smile today.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment