Monday 14 September 2015

My Personal Online Dating Favourites


Online dating has been good for comic relief and has provided me with fodder with which to amuse my friends. I refer to my online dating experiences as my Fish-Capades - an homage to Plenty of Fish, AKA Plenty of Minnows. Although online dating has not resulted in any relationships for me, short or long term, it does have entertainment value (certainly better than the meager offerings on network TV). I’d like to share my favourite emails with you. 

I should first explain that I am currently 61. I describe myself as “high energy, active and urban”. Clearly some folks that messaged me were confused about several words in my description. High energy, active does not indicate that TV watching is my activity of choice and the word urban, as in living in a city or accustomed to cities does not indicate that I'm a rural dweller or nature lover. Nor would I participate in camping, fishing or hunting. In fact, I only commune with nature on a golf course. My idea of camping is a motel instead of a hotel. I have a deep and abiding affection for indoor plumbing and I love concrete.   

You’d expect that when someone sends you a message it would contain the usual pleasantries and some comment about what you have in common. My all time favourite is, and I quote, “Hey, you’re not bad looking”. High praise indeed from a 65 year old, bald, morbidly obese retiree who in the Interests section lists TV and beer (I’m a non-drinker). 

My second favourite was chosen not for the email itself which only said “Hi” but for the accompanying photo. The person in the photo was wearing camouflage pants, a red and black lumber jacket, baseball hat worn backwards and a Tim Horton’s coffee in hand. This vision was standing next to a pickup truck and in the payload was a dead deer in full rigor. It could have been right out of “Deliverance”. We would certainly have been a match made in heaven!

There have been others that have been mildly amusing, but none could compete with these.

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment