Wednesday 9 September 2015

The Old Fart’s Guide To Technology








 Firstly, I should tell you that this old fart is 61. As you now have figured out, I don’t come from the computer age. In my day a calculator was the height of sophistication. When my father bought me a solar powered calculator in Hong Kong (which I still have for sentimental reasons), it was considered a wonder of modern technology. When I was a student at McGill, if you took a calculator into an exam, you were immediately expelled for cheating. Now, it’s a virtual impossibility to find anyone walking around without their electronic appendages, me included. 

Growing up, the family shared a single phone line and some families shared a “party line”. Now land lines are a thing of the past, even for old farts like me. I’ve been exclusively mobile for over 5 years now. Kids have technology DNA and innately know how to operate the most sophisticated electronic equipment. It’s second nature to them and as natural as breathing. A new survey by vouchercloud.net reports that most children get their first cell phone when they are just 6 years old. The study also found that parents also purchased other technology for their kids:
  • 96% have a cell phone
  • 83% have a TV or sound system
  • 75% have a tablet
  • 71% have a handheld gaming console
  • 65% have an eBook reader
  • 51% have an Xbox or Playstation
It’s no wonder that technology represents no challenge to them. They don’t know life without it. The old farts on the other hand struggle with new technology. I remember when I got my first smartphone and asked where the user manual was. The sales guy laughed at me and told me to go to YouTube. I had no idea what he was talking about and why I would want to go to YouTube. I left the shop with no clue about how to operate this contraption. Soon enough I got my first call and couldn’t answer it. I kept pressing everything in sight and no luck. So in desperation I went to YouTube, asked how to answer the phone, and eureka! I had a plethora of how to videos explaining how. 

I can’t even imagine how many hours I spent on YouTube learning how to use my smartphone. But I can tell you that I have no idea what I would have done without YouTube and my friend Erik. If you’re an old fart who wants to stay sane in this techno-world, in addition to YouTube, find a super smart techie guru friend like Erik who will tolerate old fart friends that are techno-imbeciles (and I am their Queen).

This old fart’s guide to technology is in 2 words – YouTube and Erik.

Make someone smile today.

Geri

1 comment: