Monday 25 January 2016

Job Hunting’s A Lot Like Online Dating

Sometime I think “Screw this job. I’ll just quit and be a stripper”. Then I remember I’m fat and can’t dance.
The funtab.com

I’ve been self-employed for quite a long time now. At the end of every contract the inevitable job search begins. I’m now in job search mode and it occurred to me that job hunting’s a lot like online dating. A resume (or CV if you prefer the more highbrow approach) is no different than an online dating profile. And it appears that job candidates lie almost as often as online daters.

A recent survey from CareerBuilder of more than 2,500 hiring managers found that 56% have caught job candidates lying on their resumes. This jives with The Society of Human Resource Managers who reported that 53% of the resumes and job applications that they reviewed contained falsifications such as misleading statements, fraudulent degrees, altered employment dates, inflated salary claims, inaccurate job descriptions and falsified references. These lies are not unlike those told by online daters. I once had coffee with a lawyer who on his profile said that he was a golfer. When I asked him where he played, he said that he had taken his son to play mini-golf on one occasion. But, this fine legal mind thought that this one outing to mini-golf was adequate for him to misrepresent himself as a golfer. Breathtaking isn’t it?

The job hunting world is really like the online dating world where people create fantasy personas with fake photos and made up histories. One would think that job hunters would strive for more authenticity, but clearly that doesn’t seem to be the case. My legitimate and truthful resume is being compared to others that are highly inflated or outright lies. In both cases the only thing I have to say to online daters and hiring managers is Caveat emptor! Buyer beware!

Why do you say “entry level” and then require a Masters Degree, 8 – 20 years of experience, every certification known to mankind and the blood of my first born child?
Wann-joke.com

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment