Sunday 17 January 2016

Life After Cable TV

Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.
Woody Allen

It’s been months since I cut the cable TV cord and ended the blood-letting by Rogers. For years I paid an outrageous amount of money for 100s of channels and nothing to watch. How is life without cable? In a word – great!

In the process I’ve made some interesting discoveries about myself. I always said that I didn’t like watching television, and in fact I didn’t. But, now that I’ve gotten rid of cable, I’m streaming my TV via a Roku device with 2 paid subscriptions – Netflix and Acorn TV – and I love watching TV. I discovered that it wasn’t that I didn’t like watching TV; I didn’t like how it was presented to me. I have no patience to wait a week for a TV show and I won’t waste my time recording. I detest commercials. I want to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. And, I want to watch it commercial free. Streaming, on demand TV was made for me. I’ve also discovered that I’m a binge watcher – a term that I never knew existed before. I can happily watch an entire season of a show, or seasons of a show before moving on to something else. The other bonus is that with Netflix and Acorn TV I have an enormous amount of terrific programming not available with cable and my monthly subscriptions total $13/month.

Now my problem isn’t that I have nothing to watch; it’s that there is so much to watch I don’t know where to start. So many options, so little time…

If a Martian came down to Earth and watched television, he'd come to conclusion that all the world's society is based on Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. He'd be amazed that our society hasn't collapsed.
Michio Kaku

Make someone smile today.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment