Friday 1 January 2016

My Apologies to Mr. Mozart and All


When she started to play, Steinway came down personally and rubbed his name off the piano.  
Bob Hope

In November I bought myself a digital piano and have been teaching myself to play. Now that I’ve begun “Piano for Adult Beginners” Book 2, I have elevated myself from the ranks of “remedial student” to “emerging beginner” – clearly a giant leap in my musical progress. The notes, which resembled Greek to me, I can now read in a slow, plodding sort of way – yet another musical triumph for me.

I’m acutely aware that when I begin working on a piece by one of the great masters – Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Brahms and the like – that the pieces are all “arranged”, meaning that they’ve been dumbed down for beginners like me who don’t have a hope in hell of playing any of their music in its original form. As I sit on my bench, struggling to make music, I realize that should any of the greats be circling around above that they would surely rue the day they composed the piece. Therefore I feel compelled to offer this “blanket apology” for making what must seem like an abominable noise and beg their indulgence for I am driven to succeed. My goal is to play the masters pieces in their original form. And, when that will happen is anyone’s guess. But in the meantime, I will continue to practice and apologize.

I can’t listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment