Saturday 2 January 2016

Movie Review – The Hateful Eight

North, 1994
I hated this movie. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
Roger Ebert

That’s exactly the way I felt about The Hateful Eight. My friend Erik described it best as three hours of your life that you can’t get back. I should preface this by saying that I am not a devotee of Quentin Tarantino’s. I’ve liked some of his movies, most notably Pulp Fiction and was non-pulsed by others. Yet, no movie that I’ve seen in recent times (and I go to a lot of movies) has driven me to write a movie review because I’ve hated it that much.

I was predisposed to liking The Hateful Eight because two of my favourite actors – Walton Goggins and Tim Roth – were in it, in addition to Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell and other fine actors. How Tarantino could have wasted such talent on a cure for insomnia is beyond me. And, the attempt to make it look like an art house film was quite pathetic. This exercise in indigestion droned on for three painful hours, its only purpose to feed Tarantino’s ego. The Hateful Eight is a disaster from start to finish and I wouldn’t even recommend seeing it for free. You’d be better off devoting your time to doing laundry or having a root canal.

Armageddon, 1998
No matter what they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out.
Roger Ebert

Make someone smile today.

Geri

1 comment: