Tuesday 12 January 2016

Miracles Happen Everyday

Miracles happen every day. Change your perception of what a miracle is and you'll see them all around you.
Jon Bon Jovi

Miracles do happen every day, but we often can’t see them because of the salacious headlines and “bad news sells” mentality of the media. We’re constantly being bombarded with tragedies and stories of unspeakable horrors, but there wonderful things and wonderful people in our world. Unfortunately they will never get any airtime because good news doesn’t sell.

It’s incumbent upon each of us to open our eyes, recognize the miracles in our lives and celebrate these miracles. I’ve been fortunate to witness a miracle in my life and I’m celebrating it. My miracle is my friend Lise. Early last year Lise was diagnosed with Stage 3 ovarian cancer. She didn’t fall to pieces, become depressed or paralyzed with fear. Lise was never angry or bitter and never felt sorry for herself. Instead somewhere, somehow, she found an inner strength and resolve, the likes of which I’ve never seen; and Lise took on cancer with determination and good humour. In this gruelling 7 month marathon Lise withstood 24 consecutive chemo treatments, with a hysterectomy thrown in for a change of pace. Seven days after hysterectomy surgery Lise was back in chemo. She never complained and frequently told me how lucky she was to be able to tolerate chemo. To be quite honest if I knew how to reach the Pope, I’d recommend Lise for Sainthood.

Lise and I have been friends for about 35 years. Unfortunately we no longer live in the same city so I watched this epic battle from the sidelines. All I could do was call and send flowers from time to time. After all she went through, yesterday Lise found out that she was cancer free! And after a diagnosis of Stage 3 ovarian cancer, this is a wondrous miracle! So now I’m waiting for Lise to get a little stronger so that I can visit and celebrate this miracle in person.   

Lise, thank you for being a miracle!

I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Make someone smile today and please celebrate your miracles.

Geri


No comments:

Post a Comment