Sunday 10 January 2016

Would You Continue to Work if You Won the Lottery?

Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?
Jay Leno

I just checked my lottery ticket and sadly, it appears that I’ll be working tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong, I love to write and would continue to write for no money, as is evidenced by this blog which is not monetized. This is just a lark that my friends were on my case to do for years, and as it turns out, it’s fun. Best of all there is no one that I’m beholden to. I write as the mood moves me and write anything that amuses me at the time. I answer to no one, except for my mother who on regular occasion takes objection to some of my “saltier” language (anyone that knows me will tell you that I swear like a sailor – a trait no doubt inherited from my late grandmother who swore very colourfully in Yiddish and Russian). But, the bottom line is that I would not work for money if I won the lottery. Would you?

We’ve all heard people say how much they love their jobs and that they would do it, even if they weren’t getting paid. All I have to say to that is BULLSHIT (sorry Mother). I don’t personally know one person who finds it joyful to:

  • Wake to the sound of an alarm incessantly ringing
  • Stare at a face you don’t recognize in the bathroom mirror
  • Rush like crazy to get through your morning routine
  • Fight commuter traffic or get trampled in public transit
  • Arrive at work to report to a sociopathic boss who shouldn’t be allowed to live

And this is supposed to be better than greeting the day in a leisurely fashion, having more money than you could possibly need and doing whatever you want to do with no one to answer to???

The reality is that unless you truly have a calling, work is no more than vertical prostitution. Yes, some of you may have great bosses (for now) and enjoy what you’re doing, but would you really continue doing it without a paycheque? Even though I realize that my chances of winning the lottery are slim to none, there are winners; and without a ticket, I have zero chance of being one of them.

I despise the Lottery. There’s less chance of you becoming a millionaire than there is of getting hit on the head by a passing asteroid.
Brian May

Make someone smile today.

Geri

3 comments:

  1. With all of the hype in the U.S. over the $1.5 Billion Power ball drawing, this is a very timely topic! I would not work, because managing that kind of wealth, and making sure it and my family were safe would become a full time job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much agree. The lottery winners (believe, there some) who say they'll continue doing there ordinary job or donate much for churched or what ever are true hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely I wouldn't! I have to work to earn enough to make the ends meet and spend some cash for the tickets. That is why I play. Every time checking French Lotto results I hope I'll finally be able to stop this turmoil and ease myself of the financial burden! Wish you luck, players!

    ReplyDelete