Friday 2 October 2015

Golf Scores Can Be Like Fish Tales

I can't believe that it's already October, which means that my remaining golf days are sadly numbered. I'm hoping to get a round in this weekend but the Weather Network isn't inspiring hope. Sue and I will head out Sunday afternoon to Nottawasaga and if worse comes to worse, we'll detour to the outlet mall... You gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm always amused when you talk to golfers about their scores. Women are usually self-deprecating about the state of their golf games and consider a great score an accident. Many men on the other hand have a tendency to tell fish tales. They're superb golfers who shoot in the 80s - in their dreams (or on 9 holes).

Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore, shoot six, and write down five.
Paul Harvey 

My golf game is interesting and falls into one of 4 categories:
  1. There are days that no matter what I do, meaningful contact with the ball is a virtual impossibility. After a picture perfect practice swing, the ball pathetically dribbles off the tee. Its distance can measured in inches, not yards. On days like these, I don't keep score. I enjoy the day, hitting the ball (or not).
  2. On an average day I shoot between 105 and 110. I happily make some terrific shots, some that suck and some that won't win any style points but move forward. Sue and I refer to these as utility shots.
  3. There are days when I'm being punished and rewarded in the same round. On 9 holes I can't buy a ball and then on the other 9 I'm ready for the tour. In my last round I couldn't hit a ball on the front 9 and shot 43 on the back 9.
  4. On very rare occasion I'm blessed by the Golf Goddess and I break 100. I hit wondrous shots like a 240 yard drive straight down the fairway or hole a chip. These days are few and far between but when they come, it's magic!
I have no idea what my next round will bring. The only thing that I do know is that there's no better way to spend an afternoon than on the golf course, regardless of the state of my game.  

Make someone smile today.

Geri



No comments:

Post a Comment