Saturday 24 October 2015

I “Flipp” for Grocery Savings

When it came to finding deals or making deals, my late father was your guy. I’m sure he never paid retail for anything in his life and his ability to find bargains on anything was uncanny. When he retired, grocery shopping became his main outlet for finding deals. My mother retired from grocery shopping and devoted her considerable culinary talents to the creation of splendid meals while my father set off like a big game hunter to the wilds of the supermarkets. The amount of money that he managed to save on groceries was astonishing, but this endeavor was akin to a fulltime job. 

After my father passed away I began to take my mother grocery shopping on Saturday mornings. I shopped at what she considered “an expensive grocery store” and would have none of it. She began scouring flyers like a detective in search of deals. Working fulltime I don’t have the time or the inclination to run from store to store for bargains. But, there are a few stores that take competitor’s coupons, so we decided to do our Saturday morning shopping at Superstore because we were both impressed with the quality of their produce and meat and their selection. On Fridays my mother would diligently go through the weekly flyers and make her grocery list which would include the name and page number of the flyer where a coupon could be had. 

Saturday mornings we’d set off at 9am for the weekly grocery shop at Superstore. At the cash, flyers and list in hand my mother would get stressed out to the max trying to find the right flyer and the right page and the right location in the page to get her discount. I was convinced that this process was contributing to a high blood pressure. One day in the checkout line there were 2 guys behind me looking at their Smartphone and discussing the deals. They saw my mother preparing her flyers and asked if I had a Smartphone. I whipped out my Smartphone and they showed me a free app that they were using called Flipp which is available in Canada and the US for iPhone and Android. It has all the flyers in your area in several categories:

·         Automotive

·         Baby & Kids

·         Electronics

·         Fashion

·         Groceries

·         Home & Garden

·         Office

·         Pets

·         Pharmacy

·         Sporting Goods

After you download the Flipp app you put in your postal code and Flipp provides you with all the digital circulars in your geographic area. As an example, I live in mid-town Toronto and there are 125 available flyers in my area. When I select the Groceries Category, I have 43 available flyers. You can either search the flyers individually or search for the item that you’re looking for and Flipp will provide you with all the deals for that item. Once you’ve found an item in the price you want to pay you simply tap on it, which sends it to your “clippings” page. When you go to the cash you tell the cashier that you are price matching. You go to your clippings page which has all your deals. When the item comes up that you are going to price match you show the cashier the deal on your phone (which has the store and the price) and the cashier gives you the discount. It easy, fast and saves you a ton of money. My mother and I estimate that we save at least 25% on our groceries every week by using Flipp.

I know that I’m still not saving as much as my father would, but Flipp is the next best thing. 

600 grocery carts in the grocery store and I keep picking the one with the front wheel that likes to pirouette like a ballerina on speed.
Laughtard.com

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment