Saturday 17 October 2015

Has Google+ Morphed into Plenty of Fish or Match.com?

I have nothing against online dating sites; as you know I’ve tried a few… But, I’ve always made a very clear distinction between my online business life and personal life. I’ve never had a Facebook account nor do I participate in Instagram, Pinterest or the like. I do have LinkedIn and Google+ profiles, in addition to a Twitter account. These accounts are all business related. In fact this blog is my only foray into the personal online world.

As you are most likely aware, Google+ notifies you when people have added you to their circles. I was more than surprised when as of about 3 months ago the majority of people who were adding me on Google+ were men looking for dates. We didn’t have any people in common so I have no idea how they came to my profile. I’m not a prolific poster, nor, sadly, am I a great beauty that they just couldn’t resist. Of this illustrious group, approximately 1/3 said that they were in the US military and I have no idea why military men would be adding me to their circles. I don’t have, nor have I ever had an association with the military of any country personally or professionally. And, truth be told, men in uniform don’t turn me on. The remainder of the date seekers were random. Here are snippets from their profiles:

  • I am looking for a special, loving relationship with a unique woman who is Honest, affectionate, sincere…
  • I am extraordinarily unique but with some average facets. I am a hopeless romantic, (laugh). I enjoy cuddling up on a couch, pardon me about that. I am sensitive, sentimental, compassionate…
  • Looking for Friends, Dating, A relationship

Don't these snippets sound like the come from dating site profiles, not Google+? I guess instead of complaining I should enjoy the fact that I’m popular somewhere!

Do you believe in computer dating?
Only if the computers really love each other.
Groucho Marx

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment