Wednesday 21 October 2015

The Joys of Air Travel

Good Morning World! I was up at 4:15 am (a truly ungodly time to greet the day, even for an early riser like me) to be ready for my 7 am flight to Chicago. I used my Uber app at 5:30 am and my driver was there in 2 minutes. Just as we were on our way to the Toronto Island Airport I had an email from Porter Airlines telling me that my flight had been cancelled and that they'd booked me on the 9 am flight. Since I was already on my way I decided to continue to the airport. I'm travelling with my computer, so I just fired it up at the airport, checked emails and did some work.

When I checked in at the airport I asked why the flight was cancelled. I was told it was because of maintenance. If you believe that I have swampland to sell you. I was on the 7 am to Chicago last week and the flight was so empty that they asked me to change seats so they could distribute the load. When I did online check in yesterday it looked like there was only a handful of people on the flight so it's much more likely that the flight cancellation was due to not enough people on the flight to make it worthwhile to fly. Even with the late start I may make it to my meetings in time. If not, everyone will understand; it's happened to all of us before and it will happen again.

There have been 2 bright spots in my day so far.

  1. Uber was fabulous! The difference between taxi companies and Uber is night and day. My Uber driver, Aaron, was prompt, had a spotless, late mode vehicle and knew where he was going. He told me that he had been driving for Uber for 1 year and drives full time - nights (he drives until 6 am). The taxi fare last week at 5:30 am to the Island airport was $22.00. The Uber fare this morning was $12.65. 
  2. In spite of the airline screw up I'd rather be at the Island Airport flying Porter than at Pearson flying Air Canada (I'd rather swim than use than wretched airline!).



You define a good flight by negatives: you didn’t get hijacked, you didn’t crash, you didn’t throw up, you weren’t late, you weren’t nauseated by the food. So you are grateful.
Paul Theroux

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment