Sunday 25 October 2015

The Beauty Myth is Being Perpetuated by Retouched Celebrity Photos

Even I don't wake up looking like Cindy Crawford.
Cindy Crawford

If Cindy Crawford doesn’t wake up looking like Cindy Crawford, what chance do any mere mortals have? Yet, we’re constantly being bombarded by messages of “anti-aging” as if aging was the crime of the century. What can be said of a society that promotes injecting toxins into our faces in the hopes of reducing visible signs of aging and surgical procedures that unattach and reattach our faces, all in the name of looking younger? The reality is that you can have all the procedures in the world, and you may indeed look younger (or like you’re wearing a fright mask), but it won’t make you younger. There is nothing known to mankind that can stop the clock or turn back the aging process. 

Yes, it’s true that we live in an ageist society, but succumbing to the pressure and being afraid to show the world your real face is tragic. We’re obsessed with hiding the signs of aging instead of focusing on aging well. When I was 40 I decided to stop dying my hair and let it go grey. I wasn’t trying to make a statement of any kind; I happen to love the look of grey hair. I was shocked at the reactions that going “au natural” caused. I had friends tell me that if I stopped dying my hair that I might never have a date again; although there may be something in that because at the age of 61 I’m still single. My mother was horrified. She’s a gorgeous woman who was 63 at the time and still dying her hair blond (she continued to colour her hair until the age of 75. She is now grey and still gorgeous at 84.). She told me that if money was the reason I was letting my hair go grey that my father would send me a cheque every month so that I could continue dying my hair. My hair is still grey and I still love it grey.

We’ve lost sight of what beauty is. Beauty is not youth. Audrey Hepburn, a magnificently stunning woman who lived her life without injections and facelifts said it best.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.
Audrey Hepburn

I’m tired of teenage models in magazines advertising wrinkle creams. I resent that woman are being brainwashed to believe that their measure of self-worth is somehow tied to how young they look. The beauty industry has been lying and manipulating women for way too long. Even when cosmetics companies appear to be doing the right thing and hire actresses in their 40s to represent their products, they retouch their photos instead of letting us see how they look without airbrushing. Thankfully there are actresses like Kate Winslet who are speaking out about this. In her latest contract with L’Oréal, Kate Winslet stipulated that campaign photos of her are forbidden from being retouched. A new clause in her contract demands that her images be "free of any additional editing”. Hopefully this will encourage other celebrities to do the same and end the beauty myth.

The average girl would rather have beauty than brains because she knows the average man can see much better than he can think.
Anon

Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment