Thursday 29 October 2015

One More Off the Bucket List


One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.
The Bucket List

I just bought a digital piano and I’m going to learn to play. That’s one more thing off my bucket list. Truth be told, I hate the term bucket list. It makes it sound like my demise is imminent and that I’m scrambling to get in the last few line items. For me, it’s actually a wish list of things I want to learn, accomplish or experience for the first time. Learning to play piano has been sitting in the number 1 position for well over 20 years. The problem as I saw it was that I live in 700 sq. ft. of splendor and although I could accommodate a harmonica graciously, there just isn’t ample space for a digital piano. And, there still isn’t. But, something changed that rocked my world.

One of my oldest and closest friends was recently diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. I suddenly realized that I was spending way too much time “waiting” and not enough time “doing”. I’ve spent 20+ years wanting to learn to play piano. No, it isn’t ideal having a piano in a 700 sq .ft. apartment, but why does everything have to be ideal? If I want something badly enough I’ll make it work. I have no idea where my new piano is going to go and I don’t really care. The only thing I do know is that I’m now the proud owner of a digital piano and I’m going to learn to play. If any of my neighbours happen to be reading this blog don’t worry; I’m going to use my headphones so that I don’t get evicted. And friends, I will not be inviting you over to hear my rousing rendition of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”.

Waiting for the ideal time or perfect situation is a fool’s errand. I'm done with waiting for things to happen. I'm going to make them happen whether or not the stars are perfectly aligned. 

Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.
Unknown


Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment