Wednesday 28 October 2015

We’re So Lucky to Live in a Country Where the Only Thing We Have to Complain About is the Weather

The headline news in Toronto today was the weather. It rained. We apparently caught the tail end of Hurricane Patricia and experienced wet, windy weather. This was the news that consumed the media – radio and television. Shortly we'll be obsessing about winter and snow.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
George Carlin


I wonder how many of us realize how lucky we are to live in Canada. We’re a peaceful nation. Our country is not bankrupt. We have democratic elections. We don’t have tsunamis, devastating earthquakes, famine, locusts, plagues or war. Canadians enjoy an excellent healthcare system that is available to all. Although our American neighbours would have you believe that we can’t choose our own doctors – that’s part of the American propaganda machine - Canadians can and do choose their own doctors. We make headlines because Rob Ford, the former Mayor of Toronto was an alcoholic and crack addict. And, more recently the Toronto Blue Jays made it into the post season.

While most of the countries in the world are concerned with life and death matters, Canadians are consumed with the weather. Traffic comes a close second. When I wake up every day, turn on the radio and listen to endless chatter about the weather and the traffic I realize how lucky I am. By an accident of birth I was born in Canada, the greatest nation on the planet. I wonder if I’ll need an umbrella today…

Every time I hear someone make a really mean joke about being Canadian, I go to the hospital and get my feeling checked for free.
Dumpaday.com



Make someone smile today.

Geri

No comments:

Post a Comment